Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A book for your 9+ year old boy

Great Plan, The #1 (Speed Racer)Let's face it, boys are hard to keep engaged with books. Boys want to be active. Boys want to be physical. Boys don't want to seem "sissy". Well, by accident I stumbled across a series for boys that I think they will enjoy - Speed Racer. I never saw the movie that was released last year, but I certainly watched the cartoon when I was a kid (we won't specify how long ago THAT was!). The illustrations and writing took me back to my childhood. I could "see" the cartoon in my head while I read it.

Book 1 in the series, "The Great Plan", is all about how Speed began to race. It also introduces the characters to the uninitiated. I was a little disappointed that Racer X wasn't introduced - although he was in the "Bonus Race Story" included at the end of the book. What I liked is that it is obvious who the good guys and bad guys are - they might as well be wearing white and black hats. If your son is like my son then he would love this book. Matt loves cars, racing and cheering on the good guys.

If you want to relive YOUR childhood, read it out loud together! The chapters are short and would only take minutes to read each one.

Miss Stacey says on your mark, get set....READ!

1 comments:

Jay said...

Another great racing book for children is "John Fastramp and the Dakota 3000 Challenge.” The book began as a decade of bedtime stories and eventually became a book. John Fastramp can be read to children as a bedtime story but is meant to be read by children in grades 3-6. More information can be found on www.johnfastramp.com.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com